From Monolith to Microservices
- baby steps (lots of them)
- similar infrastructure to TeleSign – on prem
- similar infrastructure to TeleSign? Also run on multiple clouds
- started with Docker on prem
- started with ugly hacks, as ones does ;)
- (not related?) practices blue/green deployment
- dedicated infrastructure resources
- service discovery, then routing, the orchestration
- community as a big reason on technology selection
- involved changes to how config and secrets are made available
- took much too longer to get existing tooling to work with k8s
- SECURITY IS HARD, e.g., networking, scanning, security patches
- Come on JVM isn’t that bad ;)
- Development environment IS HARD; Figure out how to do dev with a “minimal” set of systems. Do as you like. Share instances in the cloud when possible. Make it easy to spin up a cluster in the cloud for each developer
- Data migration off the the monolith database is painful. Double writing is a thing. No database may be used by one codebase.
What Makes Sand Soft?
We don’t know. No one understands how sand works.